Thursday, August 2, 2012

And the Neem Tree said…


There I was, a young sapling growing free and wild
Looking into the balcony of a mother and child.
In a vacant lot, with other  trees older than I,
We grew in abandon trying to grow our branches high.

Once a brush fire set off a panic among us,
But the child’s worried tears stopped our fuss.
We were surprised and happy that she cared
And her prayers for our safety even her mother shared.

The fire dimmed and died out soon
Rains set in like a heaven sent boon.
Then one morning a year ago, on Raakhi day,
The tree-crusher machine inched up our way.

Crunch! As I heard the bushes and branches snap
I could feel the strength from me sap.
It was a school day and the child was away,
Who would send a prayer my way?

Then she appeared on the balcony and stared
It was the mother, towel-turbaned and teeth-bared.
I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry in fear
When she screamed out to the tree crushers, loud and clear

Her voice carried over the din of the mean machine
And her wild pleas, and folded hands were finally seen.
Leave the Neem tree alone and let it purify the air,
Please leave it and let it grow, we really do care!

As she told them I was home for the birds,
They actually paid heed to her words.
They left me alone, and noisily went away,
Leaving me to live and see another Raakhi day.

And the child said “Thanks Mimi, you’re a crazy mother
But you are now officially the Neem tree’s brother.
So I still stand, a young Neem tree growing free and wild
Looking into the balcony of the mother and child.

A Raksha Bandhan story of a different sort

1 comment:

Sri said...

Bless the Neem tree's brother! :-)